Wrights Hall - Wright Opera House

472 Main Street

1888

Edward and Letitia Wright built this impressive Greek Revival and Romanesque beauty the same year the Ouray County Courthouse was erected. The opera house commanded the attention of the community and visitors alike, just as it does today. The Wrights chose to adorn the front of the building with a Mesker Brothers cast iron facade which remains a prominent part of the front today. While Edward made his fortune at the Wheel of Fortune Mine, Letitia was imposing her strict standard upon the town of Ouray, her husband and her daughter, Irene. It is thought perhaps Letitia wanted to improve the cultural environment in Ouray for Irene and thus Wrights Hall was constructed. Today we see movies, live theater, and chamber music performed upstairs, while businesses flourish on the first floor.

Click for previous building

Click for next building

Wrights Hall - Wright Opera House