King/Story Building

700 Main St.

1892

Prior to the building of this large Queen Anne and Romanesque brick structure, the northwest corner of Seventh Avenue and Main Street was occupied as early as 1882, by a two story frame livery barn, a wagon and blacksmith shop, the proprietor being Louis King. Early in the 1890's fire demolished the building. Soon King erected the present building. It was completed in 1892. Tenants had a saloon, cafe, grocery, offices and King operated a large livery and barn. By 1893 he sold the building to Wm Story who made many changes. The Bank Saloon, where there was much gambling and playing of piano music, replaced the livery. A dry goods store moved into first floor space as did the Bank Cafe. The Wilson Hotel and a restaurant rented the upstairs. On June 18, 1918 the Ouray Post Office moved in. By 1920 two local young men opened a drug store where the Post Office was located, named the business the Post Office Drug Store and ran it until 1963. Until 1929, they also showed silent movies at the Isis Theatre which was on the north side of the building. It was in 1915 that the Arps brothers moved the Arps Hardware into the Story building, where it remained until 1934. Today, the upper story is rented out, primarily as apartments.

Click for previous building

Click for next building

King/Story Building