First Presbyterian Church

336 Fourth Avenue

1890 and 1997

Reverend George Darley founded the Presbyterian Church in Ouray in 1877, but it was not until 1890 that the original sanctuary of this, the second church, was erected. A fire severely damaged the building in 1943. One can still see evidence of it in some of the ceiling beams even after the restoration. In 1948, an eastern addition was built. In 1975, the original stained glass windows were restored. A large addition and other remodeling was accomplished in 1997 in keeping with the Queen Anne architecture. Many of the original furnishings adorn the interior. The church bell, acquired from the demolition of Ouray's 1883 school house, rings out over this little mountain valley every Sunday.

Click for previous building

Click for next building

First Presbyterian Church